Time for a girl’s trip? Head to Amsterdam where you can enjoy rides on the canal, fabulous shopping, and excellent eateries. But there is way more to do than eat and shop in this lovely city. Rent a bike, see the city’s oldest buildings, or visit one of the 50+ museums.
Once you spend a few days in this trendy and unique city, you’ll no doubt add Amsterdam to your list of “must return to” destinations!
It’s not just a cliché. Women really do like shopping more than men. Right? That’s why you and your girls need to hit some of these awesome shops while you are in Amsterdam.
- Sukha: For an artisan flavor, Sukha is full of beautiful stuff made by hand, and everything is focused on nature. Browse one-of-a-kind jewelry, paper goods, and ceramics as well as clothing, wood bowls, and even ceremonial masks. Get some handmade incense and artisanal soap for a nice bath after shopping.
- The Maker Store: Another homemade shop, but this one is filled up with things made by locals. The Maker Store has some amazing things you would not expect to see anywhere. A DIY mushroom farm, gin mayonnaise, whiskey candy, and some really cool candle holders made of bent metal tubes.
- Magna Plaza: is a popular mall in an amazing building built in 1899. What used to be a post office is now four floors of shopping, eating, and entertainment. They boast dozens of cool stores including Atelier Adam, Bag House, and Sissy Boy. Don’t miss Micabella Club, though! They have a DJ, drinks, and free makeovers.
Fun and Food
You cannot spend your entire vacation inside. You need to get out and soak up the sun while you are in town. Try one of these parks that also boast some fantastic eateries.
- Vondelpark: Since 1865, locals and visitors have been hanging out at this fun park. You can enjoy some hiking on the pathways, stroll around the lake, or just sit and enjoy the beautiful view. The park also has some great cafés including Blue Tea House, Large Milkhouse, and Vondeltuin.
- Bos Park: This is a large park about three times the size of Central Park in New York. It has gardens, boat rentals, a farm with a petting zoo, a pancake house with deer, and they even have a naturist section of the park called Zonneweide (clothing optional).
- Westerpark: Westerpark used to be a gas factory but is now a lovely park with a lake, sculptures, and a lot of green space. It also has a cinema, outdoor theater, and an art house. You’ll even find street markets, shops, and two nice cafés to refuel at.
- Amstelpark: If you like flowers, don’t miss Amstelpark because they have a huge garden with more than 139 rhododendrons. And you can’t leave Amsterdam without a windmill selfie, so go see the Riekermolen Windmill while there. The café and restaurant are both fantastic spots to grab a bite too.
Hitting the Clubs
You and the girls may want to enjoy some nightlife while on vacay. We found some of the best places for ladies to go in Amsterdam that are fun and trendy. And, a couple that are just plain fun.
- Radion: Open 24 hours, you’ll find Radion near the Schiphol Airport on the edge of town. During the day, it’s a café but at night it turns into a techno bar and dance club. The pulsating music will help you find the place and the fun will keep you there.
- OT301: The hipster club, OT301 is just north of Vondelpark on Overtoom, and it caters to the young and not-so-young. The professional DJs keep it going all night. With a reasonably-priced cover charge and cheap drinks, you and the girls will love this hip place.
- Claire: Right in the middle of the tourist attractions, Claire is popular with DJs from all over the world. The locals love this place even though it is in the middle of tourism central, but it is hard to find without any signage. Just follow the music to Rembrandtplein by Museum Square.
- Club Paradiso: If the name means anything, you’ll love Club Paradiso (Paradise), which used to be a church. In the middle of Amsterdam, the club hosts new bands every night with a variety of genres. From techno-pop to hard rock. They do shows and performances as well, all year long.
Museums and Culture
Why not learn a little something while you are in Amsterdam? Seriously. Really, these museums are more about gemstones, celebs, and beer, than education. But they are all fun and a great ending to a girl’s trip.
- The Diamond Museum: They say diamonds are a girl’s best friend, so go see your best friends at the Diamond Museum while you are in town . Learn about the gemstone’s history in Amsterdam. Don’t miss the international crown collection, the diamond ape skull, the Cullinan diamond, and the Diamond Katana.
- Madame Tussauds Amsterdam: Get some selfies with Thor, the Hulk, or Captain America at Madame Tussauds wax museum. Other hotties include super handsome Ryan Gosling, Johnny Depp, Zayn Malik, or Robert Pattison. You can even get some shots with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle or Beyonce.
- Heineken Experience: Girls, Get Ready To Live It Up In AmsterdamThe brewery turned museum dates back to 1864 where Heineken was born. Take a tour of the plant to learn about how they started with hops and ended with the best beer in town. Take a guided tour to hear some of the most interesting stories or get a VIP tour to gain access to a hidden bar.