I’ve said it before and I will say it again – I believe 1 to 2 cups of coffee a day can be healthy.
With that said – I think most people actually drink about 3 to 6 cups!
If that sounds like you, you may want to consider cutting back. The problem with too much caffeine goes beyond the jitters – it can anxiety, sleep issues and serious hormonal imbalances.
I know this habit isn’t an easy one to break, so these are my top tips to cut back your coffee intake:
1. My nutritional advice is to have no more than 1 to 2 coffees per day. (That means 2 shots of espresso, not 4!)
2. Start your day with warm lemon water before coffee, which can be dehydrating.
3. Drink your coffee before noon. I try to drink my coffee around 9am. I would also advise you to skip the afternoon coffee because caffeine can stay in your system for hours and make it difficult to fall asleep.
5. If you’re craving the pick-me-up you get from coffee, try having something n utritious, like my Nutella Bliss Balls with cacao – it will lift you right up!
6. Ensure you are eating enough protein and good fats at each meal to keep your blood sugar balanced. When you don’t eat these macronutrients, you’ll crave things like caffeine.
7. Speaking of cravings, give up sugar! This also leads to subsequent cravings for caffeine.
8. Make sleep a priority. For most people, that means a solid 8 hours a night. When you’re well-rested, you won’t even miss that morning coffee!