ByJessica Sepel – The Healthy Life
1. Healthy eating plan
Want to look – and feel – your absolute best for Fashion Week? Forget crash diets and deprivation. If you fuel your body with real food, it will reward you with functioning beautifully – and looking gorgeous too! Follow the instructions in my Fashion Week Slim Down plan to say goodbye to bloat and hello to a sleek, energized you!
2. Exercise tips
Exercise is so important for physical health, but even more than that, it’s fantastic for the mind. The key is not compulsive exercise, but to be active. Focus on endorphins in the time leading up to Fashion Week!
When you overdo it at the gym, you exhaust your adrenals. This depletes the body, leading to fatigue, insomnia and high cortisol levels – which causes fat the cling to the tummy. Nothing you want while getting runway ready.
I recommend exercising less, but smarter! Consider interval sessions, yoga and weight training. While the resistance sessions are short, you work hard. Incorporate high intensity interval training, weight training, as well as yoga or Pilates – your body will love you for it!
3. Positive thinking
You create your own life. YOU are in control. We are blessed with certain talents, abilities and surroundings. However, we also have the choice and freedom to be masters of our destiny. Our thoughts and beliefs manifest into reality, and you can accomplish it in two simple steps:
- Meditate on the life you want to create each day.
- Believe in the power of positive affirmations and start each day with them in mind.
It’s the law of attraction at work. When we aren’t thinking positively, we aren’t living positively. It is my belief that when we hold on emotionally, we hold on physically. Stress will always stop us from achieving our best state of wellness. Now, my living mantra is let it go. Let it go.
You can live the life you have always wanted. You just have to dream it and believe you are worth it. I encourage you to consider the power of vision boards to help you focus. Dream big. Think positively. And believe you are worth the life of your dreams. You are SO worth it!
4. Get that glow – for Fashion Week and beyond
A clean diet is key. This means unprocessed foods with lots of greens, lean protein and healthy fats from nuts, seeds and oily fish. This is where we obtain most of the vitamins and minerals that are so vital for skin repair, healthy hair – and that coveted glow!
Take a break from dairy. I encourage you to try a 6-week break from some of the major allergens, specifically dairy and gluten, to notice the impact it has on your skin and overall health. Cut processed sugar, too!
Stay hydrated. That means at least 8 glasses of water a day. Keep a full bottle with you as a reminder. Hydrated skin is happy skin!
Decrease stress. I firmly believe stress is the number one thing that sabotages our health and beauty. If you feel it on the inside, it shows on the outside! Be sure to fit in at least 10-20 minutes of downtime daily.
Rest, rest, rest. I cannot emphasize enough how important proper rest is for our overall beauty and wellbeing. An exhausted body cannot possibly function the way it is meant to, and your appearance suffers too. Unplug and prioritize quality sleep – your body will thank you by looking AND feeling beautiful!
5. Healthy Meal Ideas for Fashion Week
Healthy meal ideas to get yourself in get prepped and ready for Fashion Week – file attached
6. 10 Beauty Sleep Commandments for Fashion Week
The non-negotiable key to health and beauty? A commitment to sleep. I owe my energy, healthy weight and motivation to my dedication to 8 hours of sleep every night. Here are my 10 Beauty Sleep Commandments to get solid slumber:
- Eat dinner at least 2 hours before bed. Digestion slows at night and can disrupt sleep.
- Avoid caffeine in the evening. It takes up to 5 hours for the caffeine to work through your system.
- No sugar before bed – this will cause blood sugar spikes and wake you during the night.
- Don’t exercise too close to bedtime – leave a 3-hour gap between workouts and lights out. Exercise increases cortisol, a stress hormone that will keep you too alert to rest.
- Take a long, hot bath with Epsom salts to relax and detoxify.
- Meditate or practice light yoga.
- Drink a cup of chamomile tea sprinkled with cinnamon.
- Listen to relaxing or classical music.
- Switch off electronic devices – including your phone – at least 1 hour before bed. Electricity suppresses the production of melatonin, a sleep hormone.
- Set the mood – be sure your room is dark, clutter-free and at a good temperature (ideally 18 degrees C)
As you prepare for Fashion Week, keep these in mind – and in the midst of the chaos, do the best you can to commit to beauty sleep!
7. To Toast? My Thoughts on Alcohol
p>I am a firm believer in enjoying the pleasures of life – and that includes a glass of red wine sometimes! To socialize during Fashion Week without needing a total detox after, go for these options:
- Spirits: Choose dry gin or vodka with soda water and fresh lemon/lime
- Wine: Go for red wine as it’s high in antioxidants and lower in sugar. Organic versions have fewer preservatives.
- Champagne: Sip in moderation, especially if you’re sharing multiple toasts
Remember, alcohol is a neurotoxin and doesn’t mix with clean eating. The body stores alcohol first, meaning that carbs and fats are stored rather than being used for fuel. Enjoy a drink in moderation on special occasions. Cheers!