The excess skin and fat tend to accumulate around our midsection of the body as we go through physical changes such as childbirth, weight fluctuations, and the aging phase. However, many people choose to diet and exercise to reduce weight and achieve the target weight, but they are stuck with that annoying fat around the tummy.
Are you one of those who have lost self-confidence due an excess tummy fat? Don’t take stress as tummy tuck surgery comes in for rescue to help an individual achieve a flatter, fitter, and more eye-pleasing body. The tummy tuck procedure is a very successful surgical procedure that shapes the waistline and soothes the stomach. In addition, the surgical procedure can also repair weakened stomach muscles that help you to tighten the saggy belly.
You must know what to expect during and after surgery to be satisfied with the results. Here are a few things that you should know before scheduling your appointment.
Who Is the Right Candidate for Tummy Tuck Surgery?
1) An Individual who desires a flatter and firmer belly can go for tummy tuck surgery.
2) People who cannot lose excess abdominal skin after exercise or diet can profit from a tummy tuck. A tummy tuck is a solution that targets stubborn pockets of fat and successfully sculpt the waistline and smooth the stomach.
3) Tummy tuck surgery is the most sought-after procedure for a mommy makeover as it helps to correct pregnancy-related stretch marks or sagging skin around the tummy area that didn’t go away even with a healthy diet and exercise.
How Long Does Recovery Take?
The recovery time after a tummy tuck varies depending on several factors, including age, post-surgical care, general health, and body weight. It will also depend on the type of tummy tuck you have.
Usually, Abdominoplasty patients can return to light activity after eight weeks, but they should not resume strenuous activities such as jogging or running at least six months after surgery. While mini-abdominoplasty patients typically need to avoid strenuous activity for about 3 to 4 weeks after surgery.
How Long do I have to Stay in the Hospital After Surgery?
The length of time you spend in the hospital depends on your condition. In most cases, surgeons may discharge you the same day. However, if you are experiencing complications such as bleeding, infection, or severe pain after surgery or you remove a lot of loose skin, surgeons may release you the next day or five days later.
What is the Best Sleeping Posture After Tummy Tuck Surgery?
The correct sleeping posture after abdominoplasty surgery is the perfect opportunity for the healing process. The way you sleep will have a profound effect on your recovery time. Sleeping in the wrong posture can cause pressure and swell your area.
An ideal sleeping position is that your abdomen is as flat as possible when you go to bed. Use plenty of quality pillows to elevate your head, neck, and knees. This posture will save your sutures and incisions and reduces the healing time. You can also use a recliner for sleeping as it is the easiest way to stay in this position.
However, if pain or swelling is severe or does not improve after several weeks, see your surgeon for possible intervention. You may also take pain or anti-inflammatory medication before sleeping, as prescribed by your doctor.
What Precautions do I Take After the Surgery?
- After the tummy tuck surgery, you desire faster and more efficient healing. It is best to take adequate rest and follow-up pain medication and antibiotics prescribed by your doctor. On the other side, you must avoid smoking and alcohol during recovery period as these increase the healing time.
- While you are healing, make sure to drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated, and they also prevent you from constipation. Opt for a healthy diet, including plenty of fruits and green vegetables.
- After a tummy tuck, you should not engage in vigorous exercise or heavy lifting for six weeks. You should also avoid putting strain on your stomach while you are in the toilet and lifting heavy objects, like grocery bags.
- To avoid any infection, you should need to keep your incision clean all the time with antibacterial soaps.
What Results do I Get from Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck is the most popular and well-known cosmetic procedure that removes excess skin and fat from your belly area. After surgery, you will get a visibly improved tummy area, tightened abdominal muscles, and a flat stomach. This change on your body will enhance your physical appearance and ability to fit in designer clothes and dresses.
In addition to improving the overall appearance of your stomach, tummy tuck also improves digestion by reducing pressure on your internal organs and soft tissue. It also reduces back pain by improving posture and distribution of weight across the back vertebrae.
Before you decide to have a tummy tuck, it is important to understand what the procedure involves. You should have adequate time to recuperate properly, and also remember that your abdominal wound will take time to heal. It is vital to consult the the qualified plastic surgeon and follow both pre-operative and postoperative precautions to guard against complications.
The information provided above should help you better understand what a tummy tuck involves so you can make an informed decision.