By Gritty Pretty
Our love for The Originals actress and Witchery Balance ambassador, Phoebe Tonkin, reached new heights with the exclusive cover shoot for Gritty Pretty Magazine’s latest spring 2015 issue.
Hair stylist, Keiren Street, who created these wearable looks on Tonkin gave us the low-down so you can recreate them home.
“The key to this look is not to try hard at creating it,” says Street. “Essentially, it’s an inside-out braid but only using the top section of the head.”
1. When sectioning the top hair of the hair, use your eyebrows as a guide.
2. Braid down from the top of the head to the crown and secure.
3. To finish, spray Wella Professional Ocean Spritz or Joico Hair Shake to give this textured look a dishevelled finish.
HALF UP, HALF DOWN
“Girls on the go love this look,” says Street. “Perfect for post-work out or nonchalantly throwing it back, this hair style is simple, which is what makes it beautiful.” Street adds, “Overdone hair is just that – overdone!”
1. Just like the half braid, use your eye brows as a point to balance the top and bottom section.
2. Gather top section into a ponytail and secure using an elastic band.
3. Loosen the top section by running the palm of your hand over the section and towards the face.
One of Street’s favourite looks, he says this style worn by Tonkin is “cool, understated and exudes a hint of mystery.”
1. To start, comb hair with a wide tooth comb.
2. Spray Wella SP Shine Define all over – focusing on the roots and mid-lengths – and continue combing through.
Hint: If you don’t have a shine serum or spray, Street recommends using Baby Oil. “It will give a sleek finish while still allowing the hair to retain its natural shape and volume. “Just don’t try this if you’re wearing silk as it can stain.”
Photography: Jake Terrey
Hair: Keiren Street
Makeup: Liz Kelsh
Styling: Hayley Bonham
Collage: Labyrinth of Collages